The Time Has Come! [we strongly suggest you read everything]
Actors! It’s time to perform your best in the compressed time of 60 seconds. If you have not yet registered or gotten your ticket for this year’s 6th Annual 1 Minute Monologue Contest, then be sure to do it immediately. We’re just about full!
We have developed a strong Facebook presence with our page and event posts. Stay in the loop and let us know you’re comments about this year’s contest!
There’s still time to invite your fellow actor friends to participate. Best way to introduce them is through our Facebook Event post:
Before You Arrive…
Make sure you have these things down:
- Hour of Your Performance Printed on Your Ticket! SHOW UP THEN.
- Location of Venue: Hollywood Casting and Film. DON’T DARE BE LATE. Arrive 15 minutes before your hour.
- Parking is available on the side streets.
- Bring your headshot and updated resume.
If no hour is printed on your ticket, email the producer immediately: Jonathan Holborn – firstname.lastname@example.org If you do not email before the end of the day, Thursday 11/8/12, you will not be assigned an hour and you will forfeit your right to perform.
number of monologues are assigned to each hour. This helps to avoid congestion of performers throughout the event. Don’t congest yourself by arriving later than the start of your hour. YOU WON’T GET TO PERFORM.
If you arrive within the hour of your performance, mind these policies:
- You will only perform within the hour assigned to you. Absolutely no exceptions!
- First come, first up basis. IT MOVES VERY FAST. ONLY 3 MINUTES ARE ALOTED TO EACH ACTOR PERFORMANCE.
- Anyone still waiting in line after their hour is past will not perform.
After You Arrive…
- Walk into the front entrance on Santa Monica Bl.
- Sign-in table is on your left when you enter. One of our staff members will assist you in taking your full name, your headshot, and resume.
- Our host, Hollywood Casting and Film, is offering 2-months free to all contestants of their services when you sign-up to receive their casting notices. Feel free to do this near by the registration table.
- Once you are signed in, you will be directed to our waiting room where you can get situated before going up.
Before Going Up…
You will be brought to the staging area in the 10 minutes before you go up. A staff member will brief you and get you ready to go up. Then, you will be escorted into the performance area.
When you enter the room:
- There’s a 5 second grace period to allow you to arrive on your mark. THERE WILL BE A CHAIR AND STOOL FOR YOU TO USE IF NEEDED. IF SO, PULL IT TO THE MARK AND BEGIN YOUR MONOLOGUE. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PUT IT BACK. WE’LL GET THAT FOR YOU.
- The Timer starts after the first 5 seconds you enter OR the moment you say your first word.
When You Go Up…
Pick someone or point in the room. You can look at any judge in the central area – judges on the sides would prefer not to be played to.
Depending on who you are speaking to in your monologue
(young/old, one/many, stationary/moving), you can choose where to orient your focus. Key is to keep it close to the center of the judges panel so your performance is strong for the camera. If you spot the camera in the room and want to play to it you may. Just keep in mind of how your posture may appear, this will either weaken or strengthen your performance. Decide on this beforehand.
When you speak within the first 5 seconds of entering the room, the timers start. Do your best to stay within the 55sec-65sec range when you perform your monologue.
When you are done with your monologue, say “SCENE” or “THANK YOU” and the timers will stop.
THE TIMMERS WILL NOT STOP FOR FIVE MORE SECONDS IF YOU DO NOT CALL “SCENE” OR “THANK YOU”.
Then proceed to walk back out the door you came in. You’re done!
After You’ve Gone Up…
Congratulations on going through what may be one of the most grilling performance competition for any Film/TV actor. Hopefully all future auditions will seem like a cakewalk after this.
Results of judges’ decisions will be released after all the numbers and scores are processed. Expect to hear the official results in 20-25 days…but we really want to get this wrapped up by Thanksgiving.
What also tends to happen is our judges may like a performance from an actor/actress that he/she might be inclined to bring that person in for a reading for a project
they are involved with. People have been known to get “picked up” by our managers, casting directors, and film directors who judge the contest. So by all means DON’T FORGET YOUR HEADSHOT AND RESUME WHEN YOU COME IN FOR YOUR PERFORMANCE. This is not a casting director workshop. No one is paid to see talent or to come to the contest. This is, and always will be, a contest at heart.
Remember — If an industry pro is interested in you, we will organize the connection. Please do not try to contact any of our judges. If interested, they will contact you.
Like the Facebook Page to stay in the loop! We will keep you in the loop about the results of the contest. You’ll also get updates via CBSI Newsletter. Just know that you’re much stronger now than before you went up. You’ll have a competitive edge against your actor peers. We hope that you have had an amazing experience and wish you the best in your journey as an actor in the world of Film and Television.
Good Luck & Great Skill!
The 1Minute Monologue Production Team